Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Witchita, Ks 11June 2012

Much more than a rest day by far. I awoke at 1AM with the sudden realization that the plastic bag of clothing that I had used for a pillow (all my bike clothing except what I wore that day) had been left at the previous nights hotel (Syracruse) 55 miles downwind and west of Garden City where we spent the night. Neither Betsy or I were up to riding that 50 miles back, spending the night and then re-riding that same 55 miles up wind once again. Additionally the weather report was for 20 to 30 mile hour winds out of (surprise) the southeast, the exact direction we needed to head after we recovered my bike clothing. We elected to fast forward by renting a small suv that we could carry the bike with, drove back to Syracuse and recovered the clothing, turned around and then fast forwarded to Witchita on a one way rental to put part of Kansas behind us. Good decision. It was difficult to even hold the car on the road, biking would and was not an option. So here we are in Witchita and heading to Oklahoma in the morning. Once again the weather calls for 15 to 25mph sse winds. I can't say that we will miss Kansas. Betsy has reminded me that it is all part of the adventure. It was nice to rest today.

No comments:

Post a Comment