Friday, June 22, 2012

Brinkley, Arkansas

Woke up to another flat on the trailer in Beebe this morning. Apparently I did not check the tire well enough with the first flat yesterday. When I broke down the tire again, I found a staple size piece of metal in the tire casing. I removed it with a pair of needle nose pliers - patched the tube - remounted the tire - and we were off once again on our adventure. 70 miles today. We averaged over 15 miles per hour thanks to very little climbing and not too significant of a head wind. We stopped often due to the heat and humidity and had a nice lunch at the "The Hornet's Nest Cafe" in Hazen, Arkansas. It reminded us of the Starlight back in Vale (Many of the local farmers were in there for lunch) except that The Hornet's Nest had locally caught catfish fillets on the salad bar. Betsy had 2 of them because "They were good." Today was probably the hottest day yet so far, but I think we are both handeling it just fine. We are staying in Brinkley, AR tonight and heading south to West Helena, AR (along the Mississippi River) in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoying reading your blog and of your progress. I rode the Blue Cruise 50 today; Sharon and I were loading the bikes about 6:30 this morning when we got a call ffrom Heather that she was "in labor.". The baby boy was born at 4:15 this afternoon. So, she she don't get her ride in, but she got anther grandchild. Well...I won't go into any details about the ride because it pales in comparison to what you two are doing. OK...the meal after the ride was great...no catfish though. Bill and Sharon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Guys, I am also enjoying your posts everyday! We are getting ready to move next weekend and had a successful garage sale this weekend. Lindsay and I did 6.5 today, thank goodness Linds pulled me along. I am coming off a cold and forgot how that affects my runs! You guys are such an inspiration, both for your drive and determination during this adventure and mostly for your love of each other. You guys are amazing! Miss you guys tons and can't wait to see you! Shelby

    ReplyDelete